The Sacrament of Baptism
Like all the sacraments, Baptism is first and foremost, a sign of God’s everlasting and unconditional love for each child He has created. He claims the child as His own.
- God shares with the child His own divine life by imparting the gift of the Holy Spirit.
- The child enjoys a new relationship with God the Father, in light of his/her connection with Christ, the Son.
- Christ strengthens the child to live as one of His disciples.
- Christ calls on parent(s) and godparent(s) to foster and nurture the life of faith and discipleship in the child.
- Christ initiates the child into His Mystical Body, the Church. This initiation is completed by the sacraments of Confirmation and Eucharist.
- Christ frees the child from the sinfulness of the world by the power of God’s Spirit dwelling in him/her.