HISTORY OF WATTALA
Wattala is a Compound Word (Samara). Compare Wattala with village Wattal pola, Buttala and Wattala. The Record word of Wattala, that is TALA combined with ‘WAT’ which has several meaning wealth, face garment, Occupation, area The tower place names Averiwatta (averi) and Telangapatha (telanba) show the names of plamto. Are mont of and village are named after flora and are there was a wanawasala (foeat dwelling) it in mart certain that the origin in waluwala.
Porjawalinya of Domgadeniya heriot in the 13th century day king wiya yalahu 11 guilt a temple in wattala. This is the ferity reference to wattala in history in the 14 the century the Malaya samgrahaya day that wattala was a mihitary gave. Then in the 15th century for Sandeaha kauya mentuin wattala in horna sanderloya a wanawasaya and traded from wattala travelling in the kelani rever are decanaled. Marytha sandeahya reporting on artier attached at Wattala the thirara Sandeacharya in dereitifive about geautifol dormred of protheou wattala Kohila Sandeahaya teller in mirth the beauty of women of formau wattala in a comical rever of the kandyan perviad, there in a replace to a man named koluwa from Wattala.
WATTALA CATHOLIC HISTORY
Portuguese Period (1505 – 1658)
During the Portuguese Period Wattala was a strategic Point. It was a gravest (Kadawata). Wattala was Called PAS BETAL (Wattala Pass) Wattala Perry was MofritableRajanimghe was king of Seethawaka 1581 – 1593 But in 1576 there was a Battle, Portuguese vsRajasinhe in Wattala. A horseman interceded and Rajasinghe could not defeat the Portuguese. It was July 25th, the feast of St. James People Believed that the Horse – rider was St James and build a church at Galvetiya in his honour. But the Portuguese word in S James in San Tiago.
Dutch Period (1658 -1796 )
The dutch destroyed the church at Galvetya. This church had 780 Catholics During the dutch persecution, Wattala was sacrificed gry the vincth of st.gorephsvazFr. JacomeGonsalves and goreph de Menegevinitedwattala. There times were fanfare and Sorrow for wattala Catholics.
These report are not found in the life of Venerable father Joseph Vas written for Fr. S.G Perera, the only authentic and historical Study. On Dutch their particular of Wattala are not much of value.
British Period 1796 – 1948
With the dawn of religious freedom and the abolish of high rent, catholic churches were built on a large scale, On January 31 ,1820 EmelegeLorence Silva donated his land called Ethifanthiya for the erection of a church in Wattala.
According to another source from the archdioceromarchiver a land Called Kongahawatta was donated for a church in Wattala on July 29, 1825 by Sellahewage Lewis Fernando along with eight other this is the land of the first church with 400 Catholics 350 attending mass.
Another Source say the site was known anGonaKovila. The origination, rev. fr Vincent de Rorawira and Mathew Caetano attended to the religion need of the faith of Wattala. From Colombo. The land this rd church is now a private building
After the Origians, Benedict administered of to 1883 and then the Oblatas till 1945.
A famous barilla detention the revelry of the Pilgrims or their wary to the Wattala years.
Mabole a separate village, was in Wattala parish for a Long Time.
The Construction of a new church for Wattala was conceived by the early parish priests, Rev Fr. Charles Crocktain and Rev Fr. L.P. Guirud. Rev Fr. Alfred Yanva, who left the parish in September 1945, handed over Rs. 22,000 to the new First Sri Lankan parish priest Rev. Fr. Nicholas Perera. He has collected for the intended new church Rev Fr. Nicholas Perera collected Rs.15, 000 Conducing a Carnival “Centenary City” in 1946.
The land by the new church was purchased from Mr.A.D Edwin Appuhamy. On July 26, 1947. The site was blessed by the Archbishop of Colombo, Most Rev. Dr. J.M. Miriam. It was his last public act. Also he gifted Rs. 1,000
Fr. Nicholas did his best and utmost to swell the building fund. On 20th February 1948 the foundation stone was laid by most Rev. Dr .Thomas Cooray, Archbishop of Colombo.
The incomplete new church was blessed by him on 30th April 1950. The first mass was offered by Fr Yanva, on 1st of May.
Within Rev Fr. Nicholas Perera’s period of time he sacrificed his time not only to develop the outside of the church but the spiritual development of his people.
After he left from the parish in 1964, those who worked as parish priests, sacrificed their time and life to improve the advancement of the church from then and now.